Forum

Please note that you can subscribe to the individual forums. A subscription for news only covers the news.

Invalid Pointer Ope...

Notifications
Clear all

Invalid Pointer Operation; Quick/SlowPro

12 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Helu!

I'm testing how to disable auto-messages. (The new Permit/DenyMessage=None is a boon!) But I found this.

The Programme crashes completely or does something weird when Slow or Quick, but not every time. I hope that’s all the information you need! (Report attached).

[Punishment-Auto]
Group=Auto
Grouponly=1
Maxtime=00:00:10
Mintime=00:00:03
SlowProcedure=Slow
QuickProcedure=Quick
AbortProcedure=Abort

[Procedure-Slow]
[Procedure-Quick]
[Procedure-Abort]

Edit:
Version 4-3-0

Further clicking showed the programme do a quick restart on one occasion when assigning the punishment. Latest .el attached.

This topic was modified 3 months ago 2 times by Simon Cagey
12 Answers

Thank you, Simon.

I will look at it.

Hi Simon,

I have not been able to recreate the problem. Is it possible for you to create a small full script that can recreate the problem, and send it to me with a report (report.htm) where the problem occurs. And the VirMst4.el file.

I can see from your two report files exactly where the breakdown occurs. And what the problem is. But it is a mystery how we can get in that situation.

One breakdown is where you are starting the punishment, the other when you are giving the punishment. It's good that it is two different situations, because that may narrow where the problem occurred. But still I haven't found anything.

Sven

Topic starter

Hello

I did a little clicking this morning:

The script is the  General and Init sections of Male Demo with everything else stripped out. Pasted below. But the same thing occurs with this Punishment when placed in other scripts of mine.

This time I’ve only been able to replicate the crash on starting a job. It’s intermittent. And when it crashes, the programme sometimes restarts instantly and sometimes not.

Not at all sure I'm getting this right. But I cannot understand the reports and I don't see any obvious mis-step on my part.

[General]
MinVersion=4.3.0
Version=2022-07-13a
Master=Mistress
SubName=slave
AskPunishment=25,75
ForgetPenalty=40
IgnorePenalty=75
alarm=call.wav

Restrict=0
TestMenu=1

MinMerits=0
MaxMerits=1000
Yellow=800
Red=400

[init]
NewStatus=Normal
Merits=1000

[Status-Normal]

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;And then this....

[Report-Orto]
Punishmentgroup=Orto
Punish=1

[Punishment-Orto]
Group=Orto
Grouponly=1
Value=1
Maxtime=00:00:07
;;(should read '00 colon 00 colon 07')
Mintime=00:00:03
;;same again with 03
NewStatus=Library
Startflag=Orto
SlowProcedure=Slow
QuickProcedure=Quick
AbortProcedure=Abort

[Procedure-Slow]
Message=SlowPro
[Procedure-Quick]
Message=QuickPro
[Procedure-Abort]
Message=AbortPro

[Status-Library]
[Flag-Orto]
Text=Orto Startflag

This post was modified 3 months ago 2 times by Simon Cagey

I don't think you have any missteps. It's surely a bug in the program. I only need to find it.

Can you send me the report.htm file from this situation. Either here, or directly to sven.brg@gmail.com. To understand what happens, I need to see what has happened prior to the crash.

And please send the complete script. One never knows where the problem lies, and I can use a lot of time unnecessarily if there is some unexpected reason.

Sven

Topic starter

The report from today is attached. 

The script pasted above is complete - there's nothing else in the '.ini' document. Do you want me to send another script in which I've placed the Punishment? That one is only more massive and horrifying than the bundle of five documents I posted last time. I'm happy to do it, but please confirm!  I have the associated htm report.

Topic starter

Actually, I'm not sure that report was attached. I'll try again here and email it.

Thank you.A mail with the report is fine.

If the above script is complete, that is fine. I have not had the time to look at it yet. It was the

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;And then this....

that made me believe that something was left out.

Sven

This is a hard one. I can recreate the problem now. But what happens is very mysterious.

I will continue working on it, but I have no more time today.

Sven

I can add that this is not a 4.3.0 problem. The same happens in 4.2. And probably earlier versions as well.

Also it has nothing to do with quick or slow procedures.

It seems like this sequence will always give a breakdown:

1. Punish
  2. Start the punishment
  3. End the punishment
  4. Give the same punishment again
  5. Start the punishment

And all this only if the program have not been closed during the sequence.

I continue trying to find out what happens.

Sven

This really was a tough one, but I think I got it. 😀 

The new version 4.3.1 hopefully fixes it.

Sven

Topic starter

I hope I didn't mislead you too far with talk of quick and slow procedures. I've been forced on holiday for a week or two so can't do much VM-wise at the moment. Look forward to updating when I get back.  

You gave what you had, and that is all I can ask. Your minimal script was what really helped me through. Once I was able to recreate the problem, I could eliminate quick and slow procedures, minimum and maximum times etc.

The difficult thing was to find where the error occurred. Which was long before it showed.

So you didn't mislead me, you got me on the track.

Sven