Forum

Please note that you can subscribe to the individual forums. A subscription for news only covers the news.

Store %instructions...

Notifications
Clear all

Store %instructions in a string

12 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hi,

It seems the %instructions variable cannot be stored in a string (using set$). Since %instructions always contains the last instructions chosen, it would be convenient to store a specific set of instructions in a string, to prevent texts from changing if instructions= is used again.

Would it be possible to request this feature for a future release?

10 Answers

Hi,

I need more information on how you want to use it. Do you also want a feature to put the string back to instructions? Or do you want to show it later.

Please explain how you are going to use it and why. That will help me to evaluate if I can do it and how to do it. 

Sven

Topic starter

In this case I was planning on just storing it to make the instructions static in other pieces of text.

It would be great actually to be able to have more control over the instructions, or any array for that matter, but that is beond the scope of this specifc request.

It would be great if "set$=$txt,Do this: {$zzL}{%instructions}" would work.

By the way, I love your work. I think you are a genius 🙂

Thank you.  😊 

That should be easy do do. I have noted it on to my backlog. It will probably be in terms of the variables $zzInstructions and $zzClothing.

It will take some time as I am in the process of migrating the program to a new development platform. To get rid of my Windows XP computer. 

Sven

asub 12/07/2022 7:41 pm

@admin I have an idea to send given instruction with external program and I need to get given instructions in a variable too. 4 years passed, it was quite easy to do.
Can it be done now? 🙂

This is the reason why I never give a time frame. 😉 

I must admit that I had forgotten this. It is on the list, but the list is long. I have moved the request up. I am over the conversion period, so now I can update the program again. As you have no doubt noticed.

I will see what I can do. I still don't give any promises about when.

Sven

asub 13/07/2022 6:39 am

@admin And that's OK for me. I use your programs for more then 10 years, or even more, I do remember the Yahoo groups :-).
And I just admire that it is still developing and have a direct contact with author.

As a backup plans for this problem we can:

1. Parse report for the latest instructions (if report is not crypted)

2. Make instructions with the help of case=random constructions, collecting instruction text into one text variable that will be displayed later for sub and used in script as you want it.

Well, you got me going now. And I have a day off today. 😀 

Take a look at the new 4.3.0. I think it has what you want.

And please take a look at the (relatively) new list type. You may be able to use it for something.

Sven

Yes! It works! Thank you! You are the BEST! 🙂

Now I'll be thinking how to launch procedure when the instruction is given. Seems the best way is to call it after instruction=MyInstruction in a report/procedure, isn't it?

Seems I can't call procedure from [instruction-MyInstruction] block.

Yes, I suggest that you save or use $zzInstructions just after instruction=MyInstruction.

Yes, added actions with $zzInstructions after instruction=Mynstruction, this works fine. But if a person asks for instructions directly, there's no place to add actions with $zzInstructions, right?

That's right. But if a sub asks for instructions, it will not be recorded in $zzInstructions. Only instructions given by the Instructions keyword are saved. The same goes for %instructions.

Otherwise you could you would never know which instructions you were showing. You wouldn't know if the sub last time had asked instructions for eating, sleeping or whatever.

Sven